We're looking to establish our legal team within Hypixel Studios, which collaborates remotely from around the world. Our members range from industry newcomers to experts with 15+ years of experience. Team members come from a diverse set of backgrounds, but share a common passion for building polished, player-focused, community-powered games.
The key qualities we are looking for in applicants are that they are demonstrably passionate about their hobbies, have the drive and commitment to deliver results with minimal supervision, have international-level professional competency in their skill sets, and can demonstrate involvement with other interesting projects throughout their lives.
As our general counsel, you will help us to build our legal function and put both legal and compliance processes in place from the ground up. You will report directly to the CEO or future operations director, whilst advising the board of directors and executive level of strategic decisions. You will be an expert in, or on a trajectory to become an expert on at least some of the following... Intellectual Property, copyrights, privacy, child safety & protection and writing community orientated user agreements Trademarks or corporate law.
Some of your role:
- Build and maintain the legal function, to include areas such as employment law, tax, international expansion and litigation
- Direct and oversee the annual report in relation to advocacy, internal compliance and development of future governance structures
- Work with the CEO to form governance structures that support our mission and values whilst providing legal advice in line with this
- Observe areas of risk from a creator friendly viewpoint - with specific regard to IP and user generated content.
- Work to build relationships with executive level and board of directors and manage their expectations
- Spot and openly communicate areas of growth
- At least 3 years experience in a General Counsel role within the gaming (or similar) industry or top level law firm.
- Experience in building a legal function from the ground up - including writing and implementing legal compliance and processes
- Experience with corporate governance issues and writing user agreements
- Experience with implementing child protection measures on a gaming platform
- Literate in copyright compliance and have broad experience with IP and corporate transactions work
- A logical thinker who can rationalise whilst maintaining discretion
- Highly organised with excellent attention to detail
- Experience drafting international licencing agreements
- Passionate about games and gaming
- Self starter with the ability to take a proactive approach
- Ability to handle many different tasks simultaneously, every day will be different!
- Strong digital skills, able to pick up most applications quickly and with minimal instruction.