When we say ‘Hypixel,’ we’re referring to Hypixel Studios Limited, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Riot Games, Inc., and its subsidiaries. When we refer to ‘Hytale services’, we mean Hytale and any other games, websites, apps and services that link to this policy, regardless of how you access or use them, including through mobile devices.
Table of Contents
- What is a cookie?
- Why are cookies used on the Hytale services?
- Who places cookies on my device?
- How can I manage cookies?
- Do-not-track signals
- Policy updates
- Contact us
What is a cookie?
“Cookies” are small pieces of data (often text files) that are placed on your computer or device by the Hytale services that you visit or our partners. As a standard feature of major browser applications, cookies are widely used to make online services work or operate more efficiently, as well as to provide info to the providers of those online services about your browsing experiences. When you return to those same online services again, your browser sends the previously stored cookies back to the online service which allows it to recognise you and remember important info to make your use of the online services more personalized or convenient, such as by remembering your saved preferences.
We and our partners also use other technologies, including data stored on your web browser or device, identifiers associated with your device and other software for similar purposes. This includes the following:
- Pixel tags: Pixel tags (also called beacons or pixels) are small blocks of code installed on (or called by) a webpage, email, app, or ads which can retrieve certain info about your device and browser and how you interact with it. This includes, for example, information about your device type, operating system, browser type and version, website visited, time of visit, referring website, IP address, whether you’ve opened an email or clicked on an ad, and other similar info, including the small text file (the cookie) that uniquely identifies the device. Pixels provide the means by which third parties can set and read browser cookies from a domain that they do not themselves operate and collect info about visitors to that domain, typically with the permission of the domain owner.
- Local storage : This refers generally to other places on a browser or device where info can be stored by websites, ads, or third parties (such as HTML5 local storage and browser cache).
- Software development kits: Software development kits (also called SDKs) function like pixels and cookies, but operate in the mobile app context where pixels and cookies cannot always function. Pieces of code (the SDK) are installed in the app that allow us and our partners to collect certain info about your interaction with the app and info about your device and network.
- Flash cookies: This is a technology that can provide cookie-equivalent functionality and is capable of storing information on your device. This information is often stored in a different file to other cookies. This means it has to be managed and deleted in a different way. We explain below how you can do this.
- IP address: IP address is the short form for Internet Protocol address which is assigned by internet access providers to every computer that is connected to the internet. Website owners have access to IP addresses of their users. Using IP addresses, we and our partners can identify the country, state and city from which a computer is connecting to the Internet. IP addresses are, for example, used for IP geolocation purposes, e.g. by Matomo Analytics.
- Device identifiers : We may also collect your IP address, unique device identifier or create a unique device fingerprint (this is a unique combination of different information from your device so that we can single it out) so we can identify your device. We may then use this in a similar way to cookies.
In this policy, we refer to all of these and similar technologies as “cookies”.These technologies can be used to recognise when your device does things. For instance, they may recognise when you visit pages on our or others’ sites, use parts of an app or when you open emails we send you, or links in technologies.
Why are Cookies used on Hytale Services?
Whilst the cookies used on the Hytale services change from time to time as we improve and update the Hytale services, they generally fall into the below categories of use:
Who Places Cookies on my Device:
Cookies may be placed on your device by Hypixel Studios Limited as the operator of the Hytale services. These cookies are called “first party” cookies. Some cookies may also be placed on your device, when using the Hytale services, by one of our partners. These cookies are called “third party” cookies and are used to provide services to us and others. Therefore, some cookies that have been set on the Hytale services are not related to Hypixel Studios Limited.
The Analytical cookies Hypixel Studios Limited. use contain the following data:
- A cookie containing the session ID to identify the visitor when they return
IP address - the last octet is not stored, so for example 188.8.131.52 becomes 123.45.67.x
- Based on the IP address, we use a GeoIP database to determine the user’s location down to the city level (e.g. Londonderry, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom)
- The page being viewed
- The previous page (e.g. the visitor clicked a link on Twitter that led them to our website)
- Clicked links (e.g. they clicked the link on our website leading to our Twitter account)
- Time of each action in the user’s local time zone
- Browser engine and version (Google Chrome 83.0 with Blink engine)
- Operating system (Windows 10)
- Device type (desktop, phone)
- Device details (Samsung Galaxy S10)
- Screen resolution (1920x1080 pixels)
- Enabled plugins (cookies, Flash…)
And here’s how we use it:
We use the raw data to create aggregate data in the form of reports or archives, which summarise the data for a given time period (daily, monthly).
We store an aggregated version of the raw data, for example:
Number of visitors from Londonderry: 5
Number of visitors using Windows 10: 30
Number of visitors using Google Chrome: 20
Number of views of the home page: 50
Because the data is aggregated in this way, we aren’t able to identify users further. Using the above example, we couldn’t find the number of visitors from Londonderry using Google Chrome on Windows 10, making it impossible to identify any individual visitors.
When you visit a page with content embedded from, for example, Twitter or Facebook or social media widgets like the Facebook like button, these service providers may use their own cookies or similar technologies. We do not control them.
How can I manage cookies?
Where the relevant Hytale service has the Cookie Consent Tool incorporated, you can use it to refuse or accept cookies from the Hytale services at any time.
You can find out more about how to see what cookies have been set and how to manage and disable them at All About Cookies. You can also find info about how to enable or disable cookies on your Internet browser provider’s website via your help screen.
If you want to clear all cookies left behind by online services including the Hytale services you have visited, here are links where you can download programs that clean out tracking cookies: Lavasoft and Spybot.
Cookie management tools provided by your browser will not remove Flash Cookies. To learn how to manage privacy and storage settings for Flash Cookies, please consult the instructions provided by Adobe here.
When you install our apps, SDKs are installed. You cannot deactivate an SDK. Consequently, do not install our apps if you are not happy with the use of SDKs.
We do not control third party cookies and cannot access them due to the way that cookies work, as cookies can only be accessed by the party who originally set them. You should check the third party websites for more info about these cookies. To learn more about companies that provided “third party” cookies through Hytale services and how to manage their cookies, click here.
Please note that opting-out of interest-based advertising won’t necessarily entirely prevent info from being collected automatically on the Hytale services, and it doesn’t mean you’ll receive fewer ads or stop them from being displayed. Instead, the ads you do receive won’t be interest-based any longer and, therefore, might be less relevant to your interests.
Please be aware that if cookies are disabled, not all features of the Hytale services may operate as intended.
So how long would we retain/store the cookie “raw data” and what do we do with it?
By using Matomo for our analytics, we implement the following solution:
- The raw data is stored for 367 days so we can generate a yearly report (366 days of a leap year +1 day to ensure the report is processed before deleting the data). After that, it is automatically purged from our database.
- We automatically process the data to create daily, weekly and monthly reports to create the aggregate data, which is stored in perpetuity.
- Additionally, we regularly create automated backups of our database, containing all data in the database at that point in time. These backups are stored in perpetuity. When raw data is deleted from the database, it is not removed from the backups because that’s not technically feasible.
Our services don’t respond to Internet browser “Do Not Track” signals. Some newer Internet browsers incorporate DNT features. If activated, these features often send a signal to the services you visit indicating that you don’t want to be tracked in some way. Those services (or content on them placed by third parties) may continue to engage in activities you may view as tracking even though you’ve expressed this preference, depending on the service’s privacy practices.
Because there is not yet a common understanding of how to interpret the DNT signal, Hypixel Studios Limited. does not currently respond to browser DNT signals on the Hytale services.
We may update our policy from time to time to reflect changes in technology, legislation, our operations, or as we otherwise determine is necessary or appropriate. Any such changes will become effective when we make the revised policy available on or through the Hytale services. We encourage you to review the “Effective date” legend above frequently to ensure you are aware of when our policy was last revised, and to help you better understand the nature of your interactions with the Hytale services.
If you have any questions about this policy or our privacy practices, please send them to us via email at [email protected] or via postal mail at the address listed below.Hypixel Studios Limited
Ground Floor, City Factory,
100 Patrick Street